Do you know about the Code of Professional Practice for Social Care in Wales?
Social Care Wales (previously known as Care Council for Wales) has published a leaflet outlining what you and your family should expect from social care workers who give personal care in your home.
What the Code says:
To provide you with the best of care, social care workers must:
- Respect your views and put your needs first.
- Gain your trust and confidence.
- Help you be safe and healthy.
- Respect your rights while keeping you and other people safe.
- Be honest with you.
- Make sure they have the knowledge and skills to do their job well.
What to do if you feel you or your family are not receiving this standard of care
If you feel you are not getting the right standard of care and support you should:
- Read through the Code of Professional Practice for Social Care http://www.ccwales.org.uk/code/
- Talk to your social care worker’s employer, share your concerns that the Code of Professional Practice is not being met and ask them how they will address your concerns.
- If you are still not happy and your concerns have not been dealt with, ask for a copy of their complaints procedure to guide you on what to do next.
- If you are still concerned and the worker is registered with the Care Council for Wales, you can contact their Fitness to Practise team.
If you are concerned about the standard of care provided by a company or organisation, please contact the Care and Social Service Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) at cssiw.org.uk