Tech Angels are Digital Communities Wales trained volunteers, providing support with technology to older people in their homes.
Too often technology can be scary and divides, rather than brings people together. Older people are vulnerable to feeling ‘left behind’ as many government services are ‘online by default’, the local bank closes and grandchildren grow up many miles away. Do you know an older person who has difficulty using their new smartphone, TV, laptop or tablet?
Tech Angels could be the affordable solution to overcoming this barrier. Open to all people over 50, this service is very cost-effective as the older person will only pay the volunteer’s travel expenses (via monthly invoice). There are numerous benefits for older people becoming more tech-savvy, some are listed below:
- Skype calls bringing family together
- Online health appointments (GP, dentist etc)
- Money saving comparison sites (insurance, shopping etc)
- Online banking
- Knowing how to stay safe online
The service is run by The Royal Voluntary Service Ynys Mon and Gwynedd
Contact: Dan Scrase, Service Manager, Good Neighbours Service
- 30 Dean Street, Bangor, LL57 1UR
- 01248 661915, 07867341744
- Facebook & Twitter: @RVSGwyneddaMon