NHS Direct Wales blog post: Winter Health Plan
Winter Health Plan
Helping people with long term health conditions and their carers provide clear information to health professionals.
My Winter Health Plan
As part of the Choose Well winter campaign, this year we have a new initiative to help people with long-term health conditions and their carers. My Winter Health Plan will share information with healthcare professionals making a home visit about:
- their condition
- the support they receive, and
- the advice they have been given
- their key health and care support contact details
Who is the scheme for?
It is designed to help:
- anyone living with a long term physical or mental health problem
- older people with health needs, or
- anyone who may need support from health staff over the winter period (and beyond)
- Registered carers and family members looking after people with long-term health conditions
How does it work?
You, a friend or family member or your carer fills in the Plan to give basic information about you, including
- your main health problem,
- contact details for your GP and
- where your care plan and prescriptions are kept at home.
What do you have to do?
- Download My Winter Health Plan here
- Complete your plan in CAPITAL LETTERS using a ballpoint pen. If you are currently under the care of any community health staff they can help you to fill it in at your next home visit.
- Display your plan where it can be easily seen by visitors – use a fridge magnet to display on your fridge or other metal surface, or place on a notice board.
- If you become ill and a doctor, nurse or paramedic visits your home, they will be able to see some basic information about you and your long-term conditions.
- If there are other people in your household who may benefit from the scheme, each person should fill in a separate plan and mark it clearly e.g. with Mr, Mrs or their first name to show which plan belongs to who.
What else can I do to stay well this winter ?
We can all keep well this winter by choosing the right health service for our illness or injury. The Choose Well website helps you to find the best option for you and your family.
You can also call:
- NHS Direct Wales for free advice at any time on 0845 46 47, or
- 111 if you live in the Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board area or Carmarthenshire.
There are also things we can all do to keep safe and well at home over winter. Download our Health Tips leaflet here – which gives a few simple suggestions on how you can take care of yourself and avoid an unnecessary trip to hospital.